Vehicle Donation Program

Your vehicle has been good to you … now let it do good for your community.

Donate your car, boat, motorcycle or RV to Neighborhood House.  It is a hassle-free way to support your Neighbors in Need.  All that you will need to provide is the Certificate of Title upon pickup of your donated vehicle.

To get started, simply complete our secure online donation form or call 855 500-7433.  A representative will explain the details including tax benefits an same-day service.

For answers to common questions about the donation process, please see our frequently asked questions below.

Frequent Questions
What can I donate?
We accept most cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RV’s, motorcycles, off road vehicles, heavy equipment and most other motorized vehicles. If you have any questions about what you can donate, please call 855 500-7433.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes! Individual tax situations vary so please check with a tax professional to determine how you may benefit.
How much will my tax write off be?
The amount that is tax deductible is the sale price of the vehicle. For more information on tax write-offs, we suggest you review IRS Publication 526 which sets forth the manner in which the IRS requires you to determine the value of your donated property.
What do I need to donate my vehicle?
You will need the title to the vehicle, but if you do not have it, please call us anyway. It is possible that other arrangements may be made. Please call us toll-free at 855 500-7433.
My car hasn't run in years. Can I still donate it?
Yes. We are able to accept most vehicles running or not. Exceptions include older vehicles whose value would not offset the cost of towing. Most vehicles need to be intact and in towable condition. To find out if we can accept your vehicle, please complete our secure online donation form or call us toll-free 855 500-7433.
Can you pick up my car in all fifty states?
We are able to pick up most vehicles in the continental United States.
How will the vehicle be picked up?
We will arrange to have your vehicle towed away at a scheduled time convenient for you. The vehicle will be picked up by a licensed tow company at no cost to you and will be taken to our sale location.
How long will it take before you pick up my vehicle?
We will contact you to schedule an appointment within two to three business days at the most. If you need your car picked up sooner, please call us toll-free at 855 500-7433. seven days a week. We may be able to make those arrangements as well.
How do new laws affect my tax deduction?
Donors will no longer be responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.
Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
Yes, our driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500. An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.
How is the value of the vehicle determined?
The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.
What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.
What if my vehicle is valued at over $5,000.00?
Effective January 1, 2005, you will no longer be required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.
Does my vehicle have to be running to donate?
In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be towable. Contact a representative at 855 500-7433 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.
Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my vehicle?
For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.
What type of paperwork will I need to donate my vehicle?
You will need a clear title. Any lien holder listed on the title must be cleared and or released by the bank. This law varies by state. Please refer to the DMV in your state for clear instructions.
Do I need to notify the DMV when I donate my vehicle?
Each state has different criteria on how notification is made. Some states require the license plates to be returned to the DMV and other states may require a Release of Liability to be submitted to the DMV. Please contact your State DMV for directions on how to notify the state that you are no longer the owner of the vehicle.