Rochester Area Neighborhood House Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Originally founded in 1968 as a vision of seven ministers looking for a center where all communications of need could be channeled and shared, Neighborhood House has grown into an effective organization that continues to serve the needs of the community 46 years later. The Clothes Closet of Neighborhood House has a long history dating back to 1937 when Lyle ‘Red’ Knapp, a volunteer firefighter, set out to help families who lost their belongings to fire or experienced extreme tragedy. With the help of the Inter-Church women and Red Knapp, the Clothes Closet expanded and moved from basements, garages and railroad cars to its current location today at 44 Mill Street. In 1992 it officially became part of Rochester Area Neighborhood House.
Rochester Area Neighborhood House is a fully incorporated organization with organized by-laws and a Board of Directors that guide the strategic direction and set policies for the organization. The Board of Advisers connects the organization with civic clubs, places of worship and community organizations and businesses within the greater Rochester area. Day to day operations are managed by the Executive Director.